Sunday, October 27, 2013

Slow Cooker Ribs

crock pot slowcooker recipe wellness mama paleo primal Slow Cooker Ribs

Ribs are one of those foods that always intimidated me, and while I liked them, I never  got brave enough to cook them for the first few years I was married. Then, one day, there was a huge sale on ribs at our local store, and having no better idea for dinner, I bought them. On the drive home, I realized that I didn’t have a grill at the time, so after some online research, a slow cooker recipe was born. It turned out great and we’ve been cooking these ever since!
This is one of several variations that I make, and it might be my favorite. Adjust spices and sweetener to fit your own taste…
Slow Cooker Ribs Ingredients
  • 4 pounds of beef or pork ribs, cut every 3-4 ribs to fit in crock pot
  • 1 teaspoon of chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
  • 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce (make sure it’s grain free. I think Lea and Perrins is)
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (or more, to taste)
  • 1/4 cup honey or molasses (optional)- can also use a dash of stevia
Slow Cooker Ribs Instructions
  1. Dice the onion and place at the bottom of a crock pot (at least 6 quarts!).
  2. Sprinkle the garlic and chili powders, salt and pepper on the ribs an put them in the crock pot also.
  3. Mix the tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, worcestershire, liquid smoke and sweetener if using and then pour evenly over the ribs.
  4. Cover and cook on low for 8-6 hours or until tender.
  5. Toss in sauce before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment